Mendels Experiment (Selection of Pea Plant)
- The first scientific explanation of inheritance was given by Mendel in 1866.
- He performed series of experiments on garden pea in a scientific manner and proposed rules. which are called as Mendel’s Laws of Inheritance. His work is known as Mendelism.
- He laid down a foundation of Genetics hence he is called Father of genetics.
Reasons for Selection of Garden Pea (Pisum Sativum L) for the experiment:
- Garden pea is an annual plant and completes the life cycle within three or four months. Due to this short life span, he was able to take three generations in a year.
- It is a small herbaceous plant that produces many seeds and so he could grow thousands of pea plants in a small plot behind the church.
- It is naturally self-pollinating and was available in the form of many varieties with contrasting characters. There were no intermediate characters.
- Flowers are large enough for easy emasculation required for artificial cross and produce fertile offspring.
Back Next Topic
error: Content is protected !!